Subject: [Leica] M8: "I think it's gonna be all right"
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Nov 17 14:23:14 2006

At 05:00 PM 11/17/2006, you wrote:
>Leica have made a candid statement (user forum) saying that it does
>not meet their standards. They have also outlined their proposed
>fixes. I think that I read that shipping has stopped until it is
>resolved, too.

I had a phone call today from dealer who sold me my M8.  He confirmed
that Leica has stopped shipping and he asked if I had any problems or
reservations about the M8.  I told him that I had noticed the magenta
cast on people photos and had seen the banding on two out of 814
photos on the loaner M8.  I also told him that I've been able to fix
the magenta cast with the software that Leica includes with the
M8.  And I told him that I'm not worried about an occasional anomaly
in some files.  That's the reason I take many "in camera dupes". Even
with film there's always the chance that the decisive moment and the
perfect camera moment are not the same!  In fact, that happens more
often than not.  At the decisive moment I often had the wrong film in
the wrong camera set for the wrong ISO and the wrong aperture.  __It
happens!  At least with the digital M8 I don't have to worry about
having the wrong film!!

I love my M8 and you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands :-P

>I really hope that people look at the superb results shown by early
>users and weigh the significance of the reported shortcomings. I
>hope that they sell thousands of them.

Me, too.  :-)

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA