Subject: [Leica] Re:Exceptional lenses, and their value today
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Nov 17 07:58:38 2006

Chris,

Because you say the 17-35 is slower than the 15-55 I assume you're
referring to focusing speed (they're both f2.8 lenses). I meant slow max
aperture compared to an f2 or f1.4 lens (or a Noct).

The 17-55 is a great, I agree. I use mine a lot, most of the time in
program mode. I can jack up the ISO on my D200 and make it usable in low
light, but I rarely pay attention to DOF. When I use fast
(aperture-wise) lenses I'm always acutely aware for DOF and often use
them for that reason, even when there's plenty of light. I may use a
lens at f1.4 and f2 at 1/500. I'm also more concerned with DOF in BW
than I am with color photography.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the Nikkor 17-35/2.8 AF may be the
best WA zoom available from any manufacturer. I don't own one but a
friend of mine does. We compared the 17-35 and 17-55 DX with dozens of
tests shots of various (difficult) scenes using a tripod mounted D2x. We
also compared them to several primes. The whole exercise made me a
believer in zooms, in the Nikon digital world at least. Both performed
above my expectations. There was one instance where the 17-35 looked
like it performed better than the 17-55. It was a very challenging
architectural shot. The difference was in the corner of the frame, had
to do with chromatic aberration. Again, it was very slight. It's hardly
worth mentioning other than to say it made the 17-35 the winner,
optically. OTOH, I could own either and I still choose the 17-55 DX.

DaveR