Subject: PS Re: [Leica] DMR DNG profile hell !
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Nov 14 14:25:05 2006

Roger,

I couldn't get consistent color prints either. I burned up a lot of
expensive paper and inks trying.

The thing I like about hardware monitor calibration is that it's
consistent. It eliminates one variable in a process that has far too
many variables.

I think consistency is more important than accuracy. I'm not even sure
there is such a thing as accurate color. It used to be that there was
Kodachrome color, Ektachrome color, Velvia color, Cibachrome Color,
Ektar color, etc. Today it's even more wide open.

I've studied my own color perception enough that I don't always trust
what I see. For instance, changes in ambient light in my work area can
affect what an image looks like on my monitor. I can be working in
daylight or tungsten light, or a combination of the two. It's not
something I can easily control. I also have a 5000K fluorescent bulb
that I use to judge prints. Metamerism can be found in many places. It's
not just variations in how ink looks under different light spectrums.

I was in a workshop a while back and we took blank sheets of different
printing papers and looked at each one right before looking at a
monitor. It was a real eye opener the way my perception of the image on
the monitor was altered, depending on the "whiteness" of the paper.

Different people have different color sensitivities (and different
tastes which may play into sensitivities). Women tend to have better
color sensitivity than men. My wife can point out things in a photo that
I don't even notice. But once she brings them to my attention, they're
obvious.

My mind can really play tricks when it comes to color. After all, a
person can change the apparent warmth of a BW print using the same gray
inks just by changing the paper. The ink, itself, doesn't change. Just
the paper. So how can neutral ink appear either cool or warm. It's
because the mind plays games when it comes to subtle color variations.

Maybe that explains why I never had success eyeballing color balance.
The Spyder2 works like a charm. Again, it's not that accuracy is so
important. It's consistency I'm after.

daveR