Subject: [Leica] Voigtlander 50/2 Heliar Lens?
From: leicanikon at earthlink.net (Stephen Gandy)
Date: Mon Nov 13 22:35:32 2006

hmm. there is a bit more to the Heliar story.

it's hardly surprising the Voigtlander 50/2 Heliar is not as sharp as
the Voigtlander 50/3.5 Heliar,  since Leica has never made a lens that
sharp either -- at least according to Popular Photography which  found
the 50/3.5 Heliar the sharpest lens Pop Photo labs had ever tested.
 BTW, the 50/3.5 Heliar was produced only in limited edition Leica screw
mount and Nikon rangefinder sets.

the 50/2 Heliar is really unusual for an f/2 lens because it has only
five elements.  the two fewer lens surfaces in the five element Heliar
designed compared to the standard 6 element 50/2 translates to higher
contrast and increased flare resistance. Take a look at the just
released December 2006 issue of Popular Photography, page 59.  Burt
Keppler's article is essentially about the 50/2 Heliar.  Quoting  "The
Heliar turned out to be incredibly good, comparable at all apertures to
the 50mm f/2 Leica Summicron-M we'd tested in 1996."  Cosina did it with
"Newly developed super high-index glass (that) reduces all aberrations."
  Keep in mind the only two camera makers in Japan that produce their
own glass are Cosina and Nikon.  When Tom Abrahamasson and I discussed a
new Heliar at the factory with Mr. K in 2004, he was not not at all sure
a satisfactory modern 50/2.8 Heliar could be produced.   It would not
surprise me if Mr K had this high index glass developed just for the new
Heliar.

Something else about the Voigtlander Heliars.  Both are the classic five
element Heliar design and give a look which seems more three dimensional
(at least in some shots) than traditional six element designs.  Why?
beats me.  But that is part of the reason the classic Heliar optical
design was so prized.  I am sure Marc Small  can provide the details on
the vintage Heliars.

Stephen

Replies: Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Voigtlander 50/2 Heliar Lens?)
Message from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Voigtlander 50/2 Heliar Lens?)