Subject: [Leica] OT: Maybe dumb question on M8
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri Nov 10 23:54:16 2006

As I understand it the large sensors as used in DSLRs and the M8 and
Epson RD1 (which is a Cosina camera with Epson electronics) are one
shot sensors, unlike the tiny sensors used in P&S cameras and
camcorders which are live all the time. They are only active when the
shutter is open. I have no idea why that is, perhaps to reduce heat???
Anyway, given this fact it would be far from easy to have the LCD
live like a P&S digicam as another little digicam sensor with
attendant optics would not get the correct field of view and the
mechanism to get it all out of the way of the optical path to the
main sensor to take the shot would add noise, delay, cost and weight.
I imagine if it were technically feasible such a feature would have
been included, even if many would not care one way or another.
Frank