Subject: [Leica] Just Tried an M8
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Tue Nov 7 11:27:46 2006

Years back a client lost one transparency from an assignment. Routine
reimbursement on something such as that was $1500. Now lets see.....600
rolls times 36x1500. I think I'll buy an island. :-)  Point is film
costs, processing, travel, etc. is always covered by clients. Now there
is certainly no doubt digital is the way to go if....You're working on a
shoot with clients,models, art directors and child-star moms breathing
down your neck. Other than that, when it's scanned and transmitted who
cares where it came from?

I do not wish to sound anti-digital.It's a great new field and a lot of
fun. I do think for images displayed on monitor the M8 might be
overkill. Last time I checked 96 dpi was still max screen display. That
certainly could have changed but maybe not. As far as getting better by
shooting that isn't always true. Learning by one's successes and
failures can be done with a view camera. If it were just a question of
blasting away we'd all be an Ansel Adams by now.

Most importantly though, to each his or her own. /*God bless democracy
and free choice. */There is one consideration that came to mind. Many
times photojournalist encounter situations with less than cooperative
subjects. Think anyone might invent a small device capable of scrambling
digital imaging? I'll bet I could give Mel Gibson a call for some
financing on that.

Walt