Subject: [Leica] Just Tried an M8
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Nov 7 09:39:46 2006

Doug Herr offered:
Subject: RE: [Leica] Just Tried an M8
>>and the extremely low cost of mistakes means I'm much more likely to push
>>the
>button when the gut says "NOW" instead of the moment's hesitation when the
>brain is thinking of the cost of processing.<<<<

Hi Doug,
For some years I've shot one of my grandson's basketball games a couple of
times a week, school and night league, never a thought about film and
processing even though some evenings I blow a dozen rolls or more shooting
the action.

Then I became aware of film/processing costs building up each week while I
had all this fun. :-) Then I tried holding back, not shooting as much, too
some degree due to she who must be obeyed bringing the cost factor to the
table. It doesn't work!

Holding back while thinking about " basketball action" is ridiculous as it's
a non thought process, it's see-shoot! Try to think and the game is almost
over.

Now shooting digital it's a piece of cake as there isn't any thought process
cluttering the mind, it's strictly see- shoot! And nary a penny spent....
well OK the paper cost when making prints for the G-son. :-) That's not a
cost factor, it's an investment factor of encouragement for his future as an
athlete. :-) Good excuse any way. :-)

But if nothing else, digital certainly for a heavy duty shooter of film,
digital is the most economical way to go regardless of the extra gear,
computer, printer etc. In the end one can actually save money in the long
run.

Obviously for the one or two roll a week or month user it's hardly worth the
digital cost.

ted

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Just Tried an M8)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Just Tried an M8)