Subject: NOW: Alienbees vs. Broncolor was Re: [Leica] success! but help!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Nov 3 19:53:15 2006

Hairlights...

I've got an extra fine grid from Balcar which comes alone not with the set
of three in black but hate using it as the subject shifts their weight and
they are no longer in the light. And I don't notice them doing it.
They make a thicker one now which is even narrower.
And they make a silver little circle thing cutout donut disk which makes it
a smaller lightsource which also has that effect.

I've gone to using what some people call a "separation light" which is
halfway between the subject and the backdrop and aimed strait down from the
ceiling. The light hits both the backdrop and the whole back of the subject
in question. So it acts as a backdrop light as well. Serving two purposes.
I use a general normal angled silver reflector with it. The kind which comes
with the head. U heads, Balcars in my case. Or White Lightings which use the
same stuff and act pretty much the same. Sometimes I'll use barn doors with
it come to think of it. Those work out just perfectly to just feather things
off just right but in a broad sense.
The light hits the back of the subject hair and all and also acts as a
backdrop light. A light I've found I can seldom live without.

Sometimes I'll aim the light a bit backwards so its more of a background
light then a hair light but seldom more forward so it would be acting more
like a hair light than a background light.
For me getting a clean white out of a white backdrop is more important than
extra light on the hair.
And getting that unwanted shadow from the main front light onto the backdrop
out out out. That way you can have the main light off to your left without
creating a shadow on the subjects right as you look at them. A soft shadow
line or hard. Gets it all out so you don't have to light so soft from the
front.
Besides I just jack the separation light up a little which is aimed slightly
backwards (make it brighter) and the whole backdrop acts like a huge
lightsource itself. Lighting hair. And making for a light "rim" behind the
whole person.
This makes for a "look" which is easily recognizable from the many shots
done over the years this way.

But not so much in the last ten.
Seeing some backdrop shadow nowadays is very much in style and is not
considered so objectionable.
Also a seamless backdrop itself is less in style people are wanting to see
the corner of the room. Where the floor hits the wall that is.
And a few cigarette buts off to the side.

But I still like the seamless subject in space look.
Sometimes I feel like the only one doing it.
But no one calls my shots old fashioned.
To my face that is.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) (NOW: Alienbees vs. Broncolor was Re: [Leica] success! but help!)