Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 33, Issue 181
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Nov 1 08:44:19 2006

On Nov 1, 2006, at 1:15 AM, Don wrote:

> The
> IIIG was last built in what 1960 and the company will still repair
> it if you
> send it off to Germany.

Leica, USA said that my 1954 IIIf was too old for factory repair and
referred me to DAG or Sherry Krauter. Sherry said she could repair it
but she was too swamped with older Ms that Leica refused to repair in
the USA. Canon has a 10 year limit on the availability of repairs for
their cameras. Both Leica and Canon assert that the cost of repair of
an older camera is often greater than the replacement value of the
camera. Unless the camera has a sentimental value, it is better to
amortize the cost over a reasonable period and plan on replacing it.
Its sort of like the practice of dropping a half dollar into the gas
tank every time you fill up the old jalopy. When you need a new car,
take out the tank, cut it open, and use the proceeds for a down
payment on a new one. If you put aside ten cents for every exposure
you make, film or digital, you should have enough money in five years
for a replacement camera. Even an M8.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 33, Issue 181)
Reply from gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 33, Issue 181)