Subject: [Leica] Re: Charging for photos
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue Oct 31 00:33:12 2006

Ted Grant wrote:

> The bottom line many freelancers don't understand is............ we sell
> time! Not individual pictures.

I am glad to hear this. My gut feeling was that it was worth it to
contract out 75% of my time for 2007 rather than nickel and dime it shot
by shot.

> If I'm being paid $2000.00 a day to shoot an assignments, the number of
> exposures made isn't relevant as the client has "bought my time and
> years of experience for a successful shoot."

I am certainly not getting that much a day. I calculated a yearly
salary, factored in the taxes, expenses, etc and went for a fixed rate.
It is easier when both the buyer and the seller (me) can count on a
certain price/income stability. By booking 75% I didn't have to factor
in a lot of "dead time".

The other 25% is overbooked (or getting there), but not with only
photography. The first 75% is not only photography either, but I'm pleased.

Daniel

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: Charging for photos)