Subject: [Leica] PAW 43 dlridings & FREELANCING!
From: harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Mon Oct 30 07:32:22 2006

Ted Grant wrote:

> After the gear one wishes to use and purchase, film, processing and
> travel costs amount to the biggest expenses, but with digital you can
> eliminate about $15,000 a year using digital. So the logic is you can
> easily buy 3 M8's and you laugh all the way to the bank.

One thing that many many people do that is a mistake in billing for
photo shoots in this digital age is to NOT bill for digital capture.
Some think, hey I have no film expense so I do not bill for
that...well....your camera cost substantially more than they used to.
You have a large investment in computers,  software, hi-speed internet
and the like.  So be sure to bill a digital processing fee. This covers
your expenses and time in front of your computer processing the files
and your expenses in purchasing the digital cameras, computer hardware,
high speed internet connection, web space to transfer your files and all
that other stuff.  Remember you now are not just the shooter, but the
lab and fed-ex also.

Who in the old days would not charge for film, processing, fed-ex fees,
slide pages, and all the other fees?  No one who wanted to stay in
business for very long.  The same is true in today's digital world.

One last thought before running out to be a freelancer is to remember
the old joke:

What is the difference in a freelance photographer and a large pepperoni
pizza?  The large pepperoni pizza CAN feed a family of four.

But as Ted said it is a fun and exciting life.  Each day you do not know
what i twill bring.  SOmedays you wake up and think oh today is a easy
laid back day, then you get a phone call "Can you cover xyx today?" and
you are off to the races.  Always keep your batteries charged, film
handy and your passport up to date.

Photography is not about the cameras, but the place sit takes you, and
boy it can take you to some fun places.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography