Subject: [Leica] 6-bit code as installed by Leica
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Oct 29 13:26:13 2006

Brian... if 6 bits would have been used up too quickly, they could have used
7 or 8 bits.....  I have no idea why, but I have had
experience in supporting past technology.  There is a point that you just
decide, as a company, that support for items more than X
years old just is no longer required.  You just need to move forward.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Here's what I think. A 6-bit code can identify no more than 64 different
lenses. I'd be willing to bed that since the release of the
M3 50 years ago, Leica has issued maybe 50 different kinds of lenses. If
they were willing to put 6-bit codes on all of them, they'd
only have room for a dozen new lenses and then the code would be full.

So I think if I were them, I'd pick about 20 to 30 of the more modern lenses
and assign them code numbers, and reserve the remaining
30 to 40 numbers for products that they haven't shipped yet.

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] 6-bit code as installed by Leica)