Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1 vs. M8?
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Sun Oct 29 08:52:29 2006

At 29/10/2006, you wrote:

>For those who have used both an R-D1 and M8 -- how much actual
>difference is there in the feel and image quality?  I really like
>the idea of a  digital rangefinder capable of using Leica M glass.
>However,  $6000 is cost prohibitive for me and I'll bet for many
>other "advanced amateurs".  Used R-D1 are priced within my
>grasp.  What am I giving up for the $4000 difference?  I figure that
>the digital technology in either camera will be obsolete long before
>the hardware wears out.
>
>Rob McClure

Hi Rob!

First of all, the price will be under $5000 US, so it's a mere $3000 extra!

Secondly, there is no comparison.  The RD-1 is a really neat little
camera, but Leica have gone out of their way to produce a sensor
(with Kodak's help) that works much better with w/a lenses.  (More
sophisticated micro-lenses.)

Thirdly, although the RD-1 is quite easy to use, the M8's firmware is
much more intuitive...  very much like an "M".  (I wish my DMR were
that easy to use!)

Fourthly, the RD-1, like all sub-MF digital cameras - other than the
DMR and M8 - uses a low-pass filter to reduce the chance of geometric
noise (Moire patterns in the shots).  These filters work by blurring
the image, which the firmware then re-sharpens afterwards.  Although
this process can yield some very nice looking shots, the fine detail
is lost, and no amount of sharpening will bring it back.  That's why
the DMR is most often compared with Canon's 16mpixel IDS MkII.  The
M8 is every bit as good!

Lastly, though the RD-1 is nicely made, the build quality of the M8
is far superior .

So, like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for.

How do I know all this?  Because, through the courtesy of Tom A., I
had the pleasure of using a pre-production copy for a week, in early
September, and from using one at the Leica Akademie, a few weeks
ago.   See: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8.htm   I've taken hundreds
of shots with the M8 and my only wish is that they do as well with
the next "R" camera!  For more, see my upcoming article in the next
LHSA "Viewfinder".

As for being obsolete before the hardware wears out, this is
true.  However, 'obsolete' does not mean no longer of use.  After
all, each September every car in the world is rendered obsolete by
the introduction of new models.  Do we all immediately go and throw
away our old cars?   Do they no longer work, quite
satisfactorily?  If a camera works and provides a quality photos in
the sizes of prints you make, why would you replace it?

I still use my Leica SL - obsolete for some 30 years... but it still
takes fine photographs!

Buy the M8.  You won't regret it!

Cheers!

---