Subject: [Leica] 6-bit code as installed by Leica
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Oct 29 04:23:35 2006

When I had a CLA on my 280mm f2.8 R lens the UK office offered to fit
the ROM chip at the same time. The lens had to go back to Germany.
The fitting of the ROM contact strip was poor - slightly crocked and
slightly cracked through a fixing hole where either the the screw was
tightened or the mounting face uneven, but I, perhaps unnecessarily
generously, assumed my expectations were higher than average. I did
not complain. The lens was shipped back without its carrying chest
which contained the palmrest. This took a while for them to find and
return. The reason I did not complain is that I had already waited
ages and it was very inconvenient to return the lens. It works fine.
I was not impressed and have subsequently never used Leica for any work.
Frank