Subject: [Leica] Rockport Leica Seminar - M8 Impressions
From: davison_m at msn.com (MARK DAVISON)
Date: Sat Oct 28 16:25:22 2006

I also had an opportunity to shoot the M8 for a few hours at Rockport.  My
impressions mostly follow Richard's.  A few additional comments:

I have been using Lightroom beta 4 for processing groups of photographs.  I
found I had to do a lot of tweaking with the DNG files coming from the M8,
but they do look nice after some work.  When I shot DNG + JPG, the JPGs look
quite good, so Lightroom really is not respecting the in camera processing
settings.  I did not have the Leica provided Capture One converter available
to me.

I tried using manual exposure on a cold morning, and my stiff finger kept
hitting the on-off switch and turning the camera off when I was trying to
set the shutter speed.

Samples can be found at

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/MarkEDavison/Rockport+M8+samples/

These are all jpgs produced from DNG originals via Adobe Lightroom.  In a
few cases I had to do further compression via Photoshop CS2 to come in under
the 5 MB limit.  The panorama was quickly stitched together in
Photoshop--there are a few stitching glitches remaining.

Overall I find the M8 a marvelous camera.  It is tuned towards very high
resolution rather than noise suppression.  The color and dynamic range
available from the DNG files is very good, but there is a tendency towards
overly magenta shadows in skin tones that I found hard to take out with
Lightroom beta 4.  I've got an M8 on order.

Mark Davison

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Rockport Leica Seminar - M8 Impressions)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Rockport Leica Seminar - M8 Impressions)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Rockport Leica Seminar - M8 Impressions)