Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital newbie question.
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Mon Oct 23 09:50:18 2006

Larry,
Tough question. I'm not a betting man but if I was I'd say that if
Leica were to cost reduce the M8, the cost would not be significantly
less then what the M8 is today. (assume  at least 3 years to develop
and inflation, by Leica standards, the M8 will cost $5800 3 years
hence.) Used may be hard to find for a couple years.

Next, do you still shoot film? Is it worth keeping your old gear?
Will your old lenses do justice to an M8? Most of my lenses are
fairly new and include 5 with aspherics. I can't wait to try them on
an M8. I also won't get rid of my film bodies and my older lenses. I
like the way film looks and the look of the older lenses. I also
shoot Nikon digital but prefer the depth and effect a B&W Leica print
gives me. I hope an M8 gives the Leica look. I considered trying a
RD-1 but decided against it.  But the guys who have tried it seem to
like it.

You dilemma is probably the same as many Leica users right now. I
can't afford an M8 now but I sure want one. I don't know what to give
up. Tough choice.

Len