Subject: [Leica] Newest Kodak emulsions - Free Film
From: hlritter at bex.net (HOWARD L RITTER)
Date: Sat Oct 21 19:58:00 2006

Not long ago I had to take my son to an ER (in Canada) after he hurt
his leg in a fall. X-rays were taken and I had the nerve to follow
the radiology tech back to where she took the 14 x 17-inch cassette
for processing. I asked her how soon the film would be developed
while she was dropping the cassette into a receptacle. As a
physician, I knew that radiologic film processors are fast, and I
expected to be looking at a warm, vinegary-smelling sheet of film in
90 seconds or so. She replied, "They're ready now" as she pointed at
a screen, and there indeed was the evidence of Daniel's ugly tibial
fracture. I was astonished and mystified, but she breezily said, "Oh,
it's all digital."

What I haven't yet remembered to go down to Radiology to ask is: What
is the method of detection? It clearly is not digital recording of an
image at the instant of exposure from a fluorescent screen, say,
focused by a lens on a CCD chip, and of course it's not a 14 x 17-
inch CCD! I saw the cassette itself, and something full-sized
registers the X-ray image in the cassette, then retains it long
enough for it to be processed somehow into a digital file. How? Does
a sensitive screen retain an image that is somehow recalled in the
processor and then focused onto a CCD? Anyone know?

Have to drop by Radiology Monday...and hope we're as advanced as Canada!

Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Newest Kodak emulsions - Free Film)
Message from pjleeson at mchsi.com (Philip Leeson) ([Leica] Newest Kodak emulsions - Free Film)
Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Newest Kodak emulsions - Free Film)