Subject: [Leica] guns, photography, and the american psychosis
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Thu Oct 19 18:27:53 2006

Philippe Orlent writes:

> Send me a copy and I'll promote it in Europe. Vast market for this
> subject: we hardly can imagine having the need for a gun imbedded in
> one's culture. So for us, this is pretty exotic.

Location, location, location.

You live in the part of the world where you can't spit without hitting
someone. Even in the countryside.

In parts of the US and certainly western Canada people own land tracts
outside of cities and towns that can run to 10's, 100's and in extreme cases
1,000's of square miles (the old King Ranch in British Columbia for
example). My Aunt and Uncle owned, farmed and ran cattle on a modest 13
Sections (256 ha or 640 acres/Section) of land in south central Alberta. My
Uncle served in the RCAF during the war and owned and used all kinds of
firearms. Using them as a tool when necessary, coyotes chasing cattle during
calfing season, gophers overrunning pasture land, foxes/coyotes in the
chicken coupe and to hunt for food during hunting season. He also practised,
a lot, to keep up his skill level.

To people living in New York, London, Berlin, etc. a 10 guage shotgun or a
semi-auto 30-30 makes no sense, unless they hunt, target shoot, etc. People
that find that 'odd' or 'unacceptable' are generally pretty uninformed on
how other people live.

If I lived in Iraq right now, I'd not only own, but I would carry at all
times more than one gun. Not much call for a gun in Calgary though.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] guns, photography, and the american psychosis)
Message from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] guns, photography, and the american psychosis)