Subject: [Leica] Dog wrangling - guns, kids, and saying "cheese"
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Oct 19 12:52:28 2006

Steve, what you say about the people self-selecting, or the photographer
self-selecting them, can be said about a great number of documentary
projects, books and others. Don't you suspect that Dorothea Lange was told
"no thanks, Mam," by as many people as agreed to be photographed? And what
about Walker Evans when he was doing the Let Us Now Praise Famous Men
project with James Agee?

Having seen the entire collection of photos Kyle is planning to submit to
his publisher, I'd say that he probably does have a pretty reasonable cross
section of gun owners. Okay, it's probably heavy on stereotypes, but there
are plenty of "normal" folks in the pile.