Subject: [Leica] OT Wifi and Apple Computers in Germany
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Mon Oct 16 02:41:58 2006

Talking about Wifi access and its cost, in my recent travels in
Europe (Austria and Germany), my Apple Powerbook 4 worked fine in
Austria, detecting Wifi Nets and allowing me access, but in Germany
there was NO way to connect. In Munich the Wifi signal was recognized
at the hotel and I could read emails but it wasn't possible to put in
the code (provided by the hotel) for access to reply to emails.
Finally the hotel keeper's son lent me his PC laptop so I could reply
to some messages that needed answers but his comment was that Macs
didn't work well with Wifi and left it at that. In Cologne an IT guy
in the bar at the Bonn Beuel hotel did manage to get my powerbook to
work by giving me a German email address related to his web server. I
paid him for his trouble in beers. In Wetzlar at the Wetzlarer Hof I
had the same problem - the Wifi signal could be recognized by the
computer - but in this case no access could be gained at all. When I
asked to use the hotel computer I was told that it was not the
responsibility of the hotel to provide internet access if I used a
computer that didn't work on their Wifi! Anyway eventually I did
manage to get access and read and replied to emails but that incident
was the one bad experience in my stay in Germany. I think Windows is
to be congratulated for shutting Apple out of the German Wifi market
and I wonder what is the (falling) share of the laptop market that
Apple has in Germany if most Mac users have experiences like mine.
Cheers
Howard (in Hong Kong)

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] OT Wifi and Apple Computers in Germany)