Subject: [Leica] Vastly OT: Kippered Herring
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Oct 11 17:33:38 2006

At 07:59 PM 10/11/2006, Henning Wulff wrote:
>At 9:37 PM +0000 10/11/06, Nick Roberts wrote:
>>Yes, that's very nice too. I have to confess to
>>a weakness for just about all forms of pickled
>>herring - in the UK, there are excellent ones
>>from Orkney, but I used to spend rather too
>>much time tracking down alternative forms,
>>mostly from Scandinavia. My mother had a
>>similar addiction until hit with a sever
>>allergy to them - I cut back then to try to avoid a similar fate!
>>
>>Nick
>
>I also like pickled herring. Pretty much all
>types except kippers. I typically go out an
>stock up my fridge with 6 or 8 liter jars of
>pickled herring, and go through them rapidly.
>All types of pickled herring are acceptable, but
>most of my favourites come from Scandinavia.
>Another favourite is Matjes, preferably the new
>ones in springtime, with a bit of cream sauce
>and new potatoes and a light beer.
>
>Smoked fish is OK, but for the most part can't
>compare. Smoked eel is quite nice, and we get a
>lot of excellent wild Pacific salmon here (don't
>want the Atlantic kind) but they can't compare
>with pickled herring - but then, hardly any
>other type of food can. Sashimi comes closest,
>especially uni. My favourite forms of salmon are
>sashimi and gravlax. If I have meat, then if it
>can't be Steak Tartare, I prefer it lightly
>scorched, just not so that it actually gets warm.

Kippers are NOT pickled:  they are
cold-smoked.  Gutted, salted, and
cold-smoked.  Now, herring in sour cream is quite
another delight and one I also love.

Sushimi you can keep.  All tartare you can
keep.  I do like VERY rare beef, though,
something only slowly percolating into the UK.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Vastly OT: Kippered Herring)