Subject: [Leica] Vastly OT: Kippered Herring
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Oct 11 16:59:42 2006

At 9:37 PM +0000 10/11/06, Nick Roberts wrote:
>Yes, that's very nice too. I have to confess to a weakness for just
>about all forms of pickled herring - in the UK, there are excellent
>ones from Orkney, but I used to spend rather too much time tracking
>down alternative forms, mostly from Scandinavia. My mother had a
>similar addiction until hit with a sever allergy to them - I cut
>back then to try to avoid a similar fate!
>
>Nick

I also like pickled herring. Pretty much all types except kippers. I
typically go out an stock up my fridge with 6 or 8 liter jars of
pickled herring, and go through them rapidly. All types of pickled
herring are acceptable, but most of my favourites come from
Scandinavia. Another favourite is Matjes, preferably the new ones in
springtime, with a bit of cream sauce and new potatoes and a light
beer.

Smoked fish is OK, but for the most part can't compare. Smoked eel is
quite nice, and we get a lot of excellent wild Pacific salmon here
(don't want the Atlantic kind) but they can't compare with pickled
herring - but then, hardly any other type of food can. Sashimi comes
closest, especially uni. My favourite forms of salmon are sashimi and
gravlax. If I have meat, then if it can't be Steak Tartare, I prefer
it lightly scorched, just not so that it actually gets warm.

I can probably do without a stove.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design