Subject: [Leica] Re: Shutter lag
From: harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Sat Oct 7 18:54:21 2006

Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

> With all due respect, Ted, while remarkable sports shots, they don't
> prove anything except that you know the sport and where to position
> yourself in the arena. To get a decent picture of a basketball layup
> or a diver in a mid air tuck is a piece of cake. In most sports, there
> are a few locations where players converge and dramatic actions can be
> recorded. The basketball goal posts, the hockey net, home plate or
> first base on a baseball diamond are good examples. You know where the
> action will take place, you can prefocus, and then wait until the
> player moves into position. But you have no idea if the hockey goalie
> will actually stop the puck or the soccer player will actually head
> the corner kick. Nor do you have any examples of adventitious pictures
> of events that can't be predicted like a basketball midcourt steal, a
> Grand Prix tire blowout, or the knockout punch in a prizefight. Good
> as you are, there is at least a fifth of a second from the time you
> think about taking a picture until the shutter actually opens. In that
> time, a jumping basketball player can leap three feet, a fastball
> thrown by a big league pitcher will travel 26 feet, and a speeding
> race car will travel 35 to 40 feet. I suspect that you click the
> shutter when the action starts and, like most of us, trust to luck
> that you will record a memorable picture.
>
> Come on now, be honest. How many shots ended in the wastebasket to
> produce the ones on the web site? If you say that you get every
> picture with one click of the camera you will give the rest of us a
> horrible inferiority complex.

The above was OBVIOUSLY written by someone who has never covered sports of
any type for a living.

First of all NO ONE who is a professional photographer PREFOCUSES...this is
a HUGE  misconception by amatures about how to photograph sports.  I have
covered events from the NCAA championships, the World Series, Super Bowls
down to high school football.  I NEVER prefocused a single shot.  Mid Court
steals?  Try that with a 400 2.8 my friend.  And yes I have quite a few of
those shots...show them to you?  Go dig through the Betteman archives as
they were shot for UPI and are lost somewhere in a salt mine somewhere.

Photograph a player making a mid air reception with the ball on his
fingertips?  Yep..been there done that also.

http://www.pbase.com/2plus2/image/32936855
http://www.pbase.com/2plus2/image/32936857

Admittedly those were shot with a Canon FD system, but my EOS 1DII shoots
just as fast as that old F1N did.

I am sorry but shooting kids is no where in the same ball park as shooting
sports is.  I have kids and I have covered pro sports...believe me sports
are FAR harder.  Period.

--
Harrison McClary Photography
harrison@mcclary.net