Subject: [Leica] Re: Shutter lag
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Oct 7 17:50:46 2006

On Oct 7, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Ted wrote:

> If you lads & lasses look at this site:
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/leicated/
>
> You'll find several images depicting perfect shutter lag
> correctness ! ;-)
>
> ted

With all due respect, Ted, while remarkable sports shots, they don't
prove anything except that you know the sport and where to position
yourself in the arena. To get a decent picture of a basketball layup
or a diver in a mid air tuck is a piece of cake. In most sports,
there are a few locations where players converge and dramatic actions
can be recorded. The basketball goal posts, the hockey net, home
plate or first base on a baseball diamond are good examples. You know
where the action will take place, you can prefocus, and then wait
until the player moves into position. But you have no idea if the
hockey goalie will actually stop the puck or the soccer player will
actually head the corner kick. Nor do you have any examples of
adventitious pictures of events that can't be predicted like a
basketball midcourt steal, a Grand Prix tire blowout, or the knockout
punch in a prizefight. Good as you are, there is at least a fifth of
a second from the time you think about taking a picture until the
shutter actually opens. In that time, a jumping basketball player can
leap three feet, a fastball thrown by a big league pitcher will
travel 26 feet, and a speeding race car will travel 35 to 40 feet. I
suspect that you click the shutter when the action starts and, like
most of us, trust to luck that you will record a memorable picture.

Come on now, be honest. How many shots ended in the wastebasket to
produce the ones on the web site? If you say that you get every
picture with one click of the camera you will give the rest of us a
horrible inferiority complex.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re: Shutter lag)
Reply from harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Re: Shutter lag)