Subject: [Leica] Candid photos in public places
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Sep 28 22:17:27 2006

Hi Ashley,

It is always a difficult situation. I think a lot depends on the
context; for example, if I am simply out and about on the street or an
outdoor market, then it is in my experience not a problem to photograph
anyone, regardless of age. These are not specifically children's spaces.
If we are talking about a school or a playground, then the situation is
different. The parents and teachers are understandably sensitive and so
you should be prepared to be challenged. It obviously helps if your own
children are with you. My daughter just went from elementary to middle
school. In the elementary school I often hung around after dropping her
off in the morning and took pictures of her and the other children
playing around in the school yard. Only once in 3 years was I asked why
I was taking pictures, by a new teacher who did not yet know me.
Otherwise, it was simply a known and accepted fact that Monica's father
was the guy who always had a camera with him.

Nathan