Subject: [Leica] film vs. digital in my brain.
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Wed Sep 27 12:36:17 2006

The 10d allowed me to appreciate what a decent quality digital file
could look like in print. It helped sharpen my digital work flow. But
ultimately was not a fun tool to use because of the viewfinder. The
20d was an improvement which offered even better files and remarkable
hi ASA figures and remains a fine back up and second camera when one
is required. The 5d became a keeper with a much improved viewfinder
and full frame use of lenses (not a big issue for me but enough to
further my appreciation of it).

It would seem that what ever camera you're carrying; you need to
simply forget whether it's digital or film and focus your attention
on the photography; the image possibilities; the seeing. If the tool
(10d viewfinder) is in the way of doing that - sell it - it's not
working for you. I can't judge whether the 5d (or Nikon equiv) would
"do it" for you. I'd recommend renting one or two and finding out.

For me, the expense (in both money and time in processing and
scanning) simply doesn't make sense in my life. The digital work flow
allows me the attitude to shoot anything and everything all the time
without concern of:
        1) expense (I know the equipment is costly)
        2) success or failure
Experimentation, testing technique, composition, exposure, b&w,
color, ASA on the fly is all just too wonderful with this digital stuff.

As Rummy would say, "Do I miss the look and feel of film? Yes. Do I
look forward to spending some time with sheet film? Yes. Do I
sometimes get the urge to take the Hassy out for a walk? Yes. Do I
love the sense of freedom that a 2 gig card and bag full of Leica
glass gives? Yes. Do I lust after an M8 to attach to my M lenses?
Yes. Do I miss the hours in the darkroom? A little. Do I miss the
hours at the scanner? Not one little bit. Do I miss the invoices from
the film vendors and labs? Not on your life."

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com