Subject: [Leica] isabella's parents...
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri Sep 22 15:47:26 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:30 PM, Don Dory wrote:
> Steve,
> While I somewhat disagreed with Ted about the previous images where
> the
> shallow dof put the focus of the viewer on the foreground person, I
> felt
> that on an emotional level the background person out of focus made
> a point
> about importance and hence the image worked for me.
>
> This current posting however makes the role of the father secondary
> which in
> the view of supportive parents a problem.  If this was a divorce
> proceeding
> then a very important statement; but for worried parents possibly
> not the
> correct thing to state visually.

no such conclusion is intended or implied Don... many conclusions
might be drawn from this photo...not knowing the people and their
particular  circumstances.

They all would be projections of our own inner emotional life and
past experience...

I think it's overly simplistic to conclude that because someone is
slightly out of focus that they are less worried, concerned or
supportive...

This conclusion weakens the image under discussion... but more it
weakens the meaning of images in general,  as if interpreting the
content of images could be that easy...

I hesitated posting this particular image...  but was encouraged to
do so after carefully viewing images multiple times in "An Inner
Silence...the portraits of Henri Cartier-Bresson"  and thinking about
the power of his photos relative to others, yes, including my own.

What you say below Don is wonderful, heart warming, and oh so
true...so I know you connect with the content of my images...very
much appreciated...

please understand that the individuals that I photograph, I always
know very well, and often from circumstances that go well beyond
those    with my own family members...

Steve

Your work in these very emotional situations is very strong and I
don't know