Subject: [Leica] Re: "the dynamic range of digital"
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Sep 21 21:10:05 2006

Nathan Wajsman said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: "the dynamic range of digital"

> You guys are way to complex for me. I set the camera on aperture priority,
> point and shoot. KISS, as Ted says ;-)<<<<

Hi Nathan,
I'm completely convinced that photographers using digital cameras are being
assimilated by the "BORG" of TV. ;-) Certainly when it comes to the
technical stuff of digital. Because every time I turn around there's another
techie thing to do that keeps one in front of the screen another half dozen
hours of diddling.

I know once in a while in the past with film I'd hear photographers, usually
fine art big format people, talking about "dynamic range of film." I never
had a clue what they were talking about. Nor, why would I as a
photojournalist shooting live things like people activities of all kinds be
concerned about it. It's much like knowing the ZONE SYSTEM, it just doesn't
work if you are shooting 35mm 36 exposure rolls! I have had techie people
try to explain to me it can be done.

That maybe, I just don't have the time of day to think about it when one is
shooting activities of the world. It works with one sheet of film while
shooting rocks, ferns, peeling paint and non breathing things. ;-) And
exposing and developing that single sheet of film by itself.

Now I see this great number of posts, opinions and arguments about "the
dynamic range of digital" that obviously makes a major difference in how a
print looks. This of course makes no difference to the "quality and content
of the photograph" does it?

As you say...">You guys are way to complex for me.<<<  Personally I feel
photographers should ease up on the number stuff and get back to using the
cameras to take pictures with feel and a lot of them would be having far
more fun at it, without racking their brains constantly about numbers.

Like you I turn the camera on, check battery, ASA and whatever I might think
of at the time and a way I go!~ Period. Take all kinds of pictures under the
wildest of light conditions at times while setting and re-setting ASA and
have the greatest looking bunch of pictures one can imagine.

Pop them in the computer, do everything auto in PS and as long as it looks
as good as I feel it should and I can say to myself... "damn I'm good." ;-)
And smile!:-) I'm a happy camper with not knowing all this other stuff.

Now I've heard all kinds of arguments from those who do this fiddling stuff
with their eyes closed, that I'm "wrong!" I should be shooting RAW, make all
the extra adjustments on the screen squeezing every iota out of the exposure
through the histogram etc etc etc.

Then I look at my prints and ask myself..... "what the hell are they talking
about when it looks incredible to me?" And if I were making prints in the
wet tray I'd not get a print as good as this.

Sorry I'm at a time when I really want to enjoy picture taking with the
least amount of agitation and brainstorming some of you lads go through
would give me ulcers or worse, a bloody heart attack! Like who needs it and
why?

I've worked all my years on the KISS principal and never had a problem. Now
I'm into digital.... even more so after using an M8 yesterday. :-) Quite
frankly this is the only M to use for the future! You all shall see!

I intend on enjoying it as much as I can, and I do not intend on getting
bogged down with techie stuff when using this "M"agical machine.:-) Oh yeah!
;-) Love it baby! You shall see.:-)

ted