Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1 exposure range
From: davison_m at msn.com (MARK DAVISON)
Date: Thu Sep 21 20:20:53 2006

I did a quick check of the Epson R-D1 exposure range today, using RAW files.
  It looks like there is usable data in the range -4 to +4 stops, relative
to the metered exposure, shooting at a lightly textured grey card.

This explains why the R-D1 is so remarkably immune to blown highlights, but
sometimes produced slightly muddy results in flat ligt.

I did a recheck of the D200, shooting RAW files with the contrast set to
low.  This yielded a useful range of -4 to +2.7 stops.  Therefore I suspect
your results may very depending on the contrast curve you have selected in
the camera. At -4 stops chromatic noise is just starting to become visible.

I have spent considerable time shooting sports with the Nikon D2h.  I cannot
report having much luck with Ted Grant's KISS suggestion.  If you are
shooting on a nice sunny day with the matrix metering and automatic exposure
(with no compensation) you will get completely blown out white jerseys, and
the ball will inevitably look like a flat white disk.  Dial in -1 exposure
comp, and Bob's your uncle. (I just watched Anthony Hopkins in  The Fastest
Indian, who uses that expression all the time.) Alas, digital exposure
response has no shoulder, and no forgiveness. If you really want KISS, I
guess you need to stick to Tri-X.

Mark Davison