Subject: [Leica] Monitor calibration (was Umbria and Saas Fee 2006)
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Sep 21 16:49:32 2006

Well done, Oliver. Time to gracefully retire that old CRT. The tube would be
well and truly degraded, even calibrated it would
perform nowhere near as new. You are doubtless discovering that new analog
CRTs are not exactly thick on the ground, being
completely supplanted by digital LCDs. Now where have I heard that before?
Assuming you don't stubbornly resist assimilation and buy
a CRT very cheaply, you will be looking at a bunch of LCD choices. The
better the model, the more likely it will exhibit less
brightness and colour shift as the viewing angle increases. If you have a
gazillion dollars check out the Eizo coloredge models. If
you're not in Bill Gates territory, have a peep at what Dell is badging and
marketing. I have their 2405FPW, which I think is
actually a Samsung display.
But it's bright, adjustable has a lot of connection options and has lots of
(widescreen) screen space, which is great for Photoshop.
Physical width is just over 21 inches on the analog scale.
If toy can set it up with controlled ambient light it will work very well
for you. A hood arrangement is worth investigating. You
need a decent video card to drive it, too. Native resolution 1920 x 1200.

Keep those great photos coming
Cheers
Hoppy