Subject: [Leica] Professional Leica Users?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Wed Sep 20 08:12:11 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 5:06 AM, bernardo feio wrote:
>   How many of us ?leica users? are professional photographers (and
> live from taking pictures) use Leica M equipment for work?

Roughly 50% of my income is generated as a photographer. The other
half is generated as a graphic designer using my photography in
expanded applications and part time teaching of same.

Of that 50% photo chunk, about a third is special event work/
editorial, and 2/3 commercial work. Until the clients began demanding
digital workflow, 80% of the editorial/special event work was
accomplished with M equipment complemented with R equipment for long
lenses and macro. The commercial work was accomplished with medium
and large format (except where slides were required). In those times
I never went anywhere without an M. Now I never go anywhere without
either 35 or 50 lux on one of the canon bodies.

> And from those that are professional and don?t use M equipment how
> many will start using the M8?
> In these days a Leica M is just a very expensive ?toy? or is a tool?

If and when I can afford an M8 I will return to it as my main always
with me camera; and it will become the editorial/special event tool
of choice, again complemented with SLRs for their long lens and macro
capablilities.

> In Portugal most of the professional photojournalists that I know
> use Canon.

I firmly believe that the M8 will find its way back onto the
photojournalist's shoulder for the majority of the the wide through
normal lens work. Obviously the sports guys with the 300 -600s on
monopods excepted. Could be wrong - if they've become addicted to the
auto focus thing - which I simply don't enjoy at all.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest) ([Leica] Professional Leica Users?)