Subject: 50mm Lenses - was: Re: [Leica] Don's PAW week 38 back in the airport
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Sep 17 18:04:30 2006

Scott,
The Nikkor 50mm 1.4 is a rather nice Sonnar knock off.  I only used it in
the Nikon rangefinder mount but I suspect that the formula was the same.
Good contrast, resistant to flare compared to same generation Canon or
Leica, but not very good by today's multicoated standards.  Classic Sonnar
look with a very good central core of sharp image with a gradually softening
edge at the wider apertures.  Mine was always better at under 2 meters and
not so good as you moved to infinity.  Curvature of field was very aparent.

I also had the F2 version.  Not quite as sharp and no reason to keep my
sample.

Instead of spending relatively large dollars on the Nikon, buy two or three
Jupitors and you will have a very nice lens.  They will not be quite as good
close up but better in the middle distances.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com