Subject: [Leica] Actual photos, not taken with an M8
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Sep 17 14:08:51 2006

At 10:19 AM 9/17/2006 -0700, you wrote:
> > And in conditions that really taxed digital, and my skills.  Even
> > shooting
> > RAW.  I really wish I'd been shooting color neg film for these two:
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/MagParkDogs/P9161965-web2.jpg.html
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/MagParkDogs/P9161972-web.jpg.html
>
>G'day Peter,
>would you please explain why you say this?
> >>And in conditions that really taxed digital, and my skills.  Even
> >>shooting
> > RAW.  I really wish I'd been shooting color neg film for these two:<<<

Ted:  Sure.  And if you have suggestions for how I could do better, I'm all
ears.  I'm still a relative novice at digital, and I've never been a sports
shooter.  Chasing dogs around a lakeshore dog park qualifies as sports in
my book!  :-)

This was a situation where the dynamic range issues of digital bit me
hard.  I'm not showing all the pictures I took by any means--I shot about
75, but I only posted links to the ones where the content was reasonably
good and the exposure was acceptable.  Even then, several took a lot of
work.  (I also posted a few shots for some dog owners who asked if they
could see the pictures. Those weren't really meant for the LUG).

Essentially, color negative film is more forgiving than digital.  Bright
highlights are often easily burnable.  With digital, when you hit the
brightness ceiling, that's it.  Splat!  Color neg film would have given me
less worry about exposure and more time to concentrate on content.  And
there would have been a higher percentage of usable shots.

We've discussed before how digital is like slide film.  Sometimes you have
to choose between the highlights and the shadows.  The pictures were taken
in the very late afternoon, between about 5:00 and 6:00 PM.  There was
bright sun, deep shadows, blue water, reflections off the water, even
brighter reflections off the foam and spray, plus black dogs and white dogs
and brown dogs in between.  Contrast city.

Normally, what we do in high-contrast digital situations is to shoot RAW,
let the specular highlights blow, keep detail in the important highlights,
and bring up the shadows in RAW development or in the initial 16-bit TIFF
after conversion.  But my current digital camera, the Olympus E-1, is
notorious for shadow and low light noise.  It also doesn't have true matrix
metering--its supposedly equivalent "ESP" mode is not well documented, and
I've never met anyone who knows how it actually works.  I've found it
unreliable.

Your DSLR, the Canon 20D, would have done better in this situation.  It has
better matrix metering, and much less shadow noise.  But neither cameras
have the dynamic range of color negative film.

So I chimped a lot, and used what seemed to work best.  Which was
center-weighted metering, and try to lock the exposure on a brighter
midtone on the fly. As you say, KISS.  This was action shooting, with the
subjects in wildly differing light from shot to shot, with no time for
careful spot metering or contrast range gymnastics.

I ended up with many shots that had OK highlights, but the shadows were too
muddy to bring up without a lot of noise, even at ISO 200.  And then there
were times when the highlights blew despite my best efforts.  The sunlit
side of the white dog's face in the second of the two pictures above is
blown beyond repair.  I had to just let it go glare white in
post-processing.  Even so, the shadowed side of the golden dog is a bit
muddy.  I like the picture enough that I posted it anyway.
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/MagParkDogs/P9161972-web.jpg.html

I had the opposite problem in the first picture, the black dog.  The foam
around the dog is OK, but the shadow side of the black dog is down in the
mud.  I brought it up a little in processing, and I "dodged" the dark side
of the face to bring out the eye and jaw. It makes an OK 5x7 print, but if
I look closely, I can see speckly color noise on the dark side of the black
dog.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/MagParkDogs/P9161965-web2.jpg.html

Here is a more extreme example (bad shot, I'm just showing for illustration).
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/temp/P9161954-temp.jpg
There's nothing I could have done about this, short of an assistant in the
water with reflector, or a BIG fill flash.  Get any texture on the black
part of the doberman, even more of the wave would have been totally blown
out.  With those ugly yellow spotches on the edges that are characteristic
of blown digital highlights.  Get the wave within the brightness range, all
there would have been would be a silhouette.

One thing I could have done, which I didn't think of, was
auto-bracketing.  But I was trying to get the dogs at the exact right
instant, and auto-bracketing spreads those instants out over time.  Manual
exposure might have helped.  But I've never gotten very good at changing
speed and f-stop quickly with a digital camera.  With the old fashioned
manual diaphragm rings, I can.

So you can see why I found myself wishing for color neg film.  It has a lot
more latitude.  I could just find a decent exposure for the shadows and
midtones, shoot away and let the highlights take care of themselves.  They
could be easily burned in in post-processing, and it would have been a lot
less work.

Example:  Consider this photo.  It's a flatbed scan of a 4x6 minilab print
from before I owned a film
scanner:  http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/italy/avemaria.htm

On the negative, I can actually see the colors of the stained glass window
on the left.  So if I ever rework this picture, I could get some detail in
the window despite the sunlight glare (whether I want to is another
matter).  Color neg film can handle that level of contrast, so it certainly
could handle the bright side of a white dog vs. the dark side of a black
one.  :-)

--Peter

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr) ("the dynamic range of digital" (was: Re: [Leica] Actual photos, not taken with an M8))
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Actual photos, not taken with an M8)