Subject: [Leica] RE: Trying to understand M8
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Sun Sep 17 09:02:23 2006

On 17/09/2006, at 14:43, G Hopkinson wrote:

> Luis, it sounds like you are discussing an issue between Nikon and
> Adobe.

Only because is recent,  Nikon looked as an offender and I don't
think that was enterely true.

> I'm sure this isn't unique to Nikon regarding proprietary formats
> in their digital cameras.

no, almost every camera maker has its own.

> Regarding the DNG standard, is it not the very definition of a
> consensual standard?

It could be seen as a generous donation, but for a consensual
standard I do understand something like the RFCs, a public and well
discussed document prior to any offering or implementation. BTW I'm
not saying that DNG is bad itself, only that it looks more like a
"open patent" than a common ground for everyone. Said that, I also
think that's the way to follow once it's there just because it makes
more sense than what's out there right now.

Saludos
http://imaginarymagnitude.net/blog/

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] RE: Trying to understand M8)