Subject: [Leica] RE: Trying to understand M8
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Sun Sep 17 04:37:30 2006

On 17/09/2006, at 13:05, G Hopkinson wrote:

> I'm just a big fan of standardization, in principle. Compete in the
> market by all means, but don't be arrogant and force people into
> a proprietary standard that may or may not exist later.

We're living in the moving ground of every beginning... I do like
standarization, more than that, it's the only way to go into complex
designs.

I saw the Nikon format as a legal move in their own defense against
omnipotence of Adobe; let's face it, it's the best tool ever but also
it's very very close to a industrial monopoly if it isn't yet. Adobe
does not need collaboration from any brand to support any custom raw
once they have enough files, the only thing I saw there was nothing
but a legal seal to force Adobe to talk with them ( as it happened )
in order of a support what was a mutual need.

IMHO they're only trying to tie-up some precedents to do not end
being just a subindustrie driven by the growing in importance and
unavoidable digital post-processing, that's all. In fact, my only
complaint to DNG is that it's a unilateral proposal instead a more
desirable consensual standard.

Saludos
http://imaginarymagnitude.net/blog/

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] RE: Trying to understand M8)