Subject: [Leica] Re: Vegameatavitamin
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Sep 14 14:32:25 2006

Aah, THAT Lucy. No way I grew up watching that show.
Well maybe a bit.
Xena would kick her butt.

Cheers
Hoppy

I have been clearly misinformed. I throught that the sun never set on
reruns of "I Love Lucy."

For a number of years "I Love Lucy" was the most popular comedy show
on US television. I saw endless reruns on British TV. This was a
classic episode of the show that aired two decades ago. For the
uninitiated, Vegameatavitamin was the name of a patent medicine that
Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball) was expected to hawk on her tryout as a
TV spokesperson She was required to take a swig from the bottle then
deliver a short spiel in praise of the product. Because of a number
of minor errors, a lot of retakes were required. Since
Vegameatavitamin allegedly contained over 50% alcohol, the results
were predictable (and hilarious).

So now you know a bit of American television folklore. Sounds like
Vegamite and Vegameatavitamin come out of the same patent medicine
factory.

Larry Z