Subject: [Leica] Re: OT Chinese Food
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Sep 12 16:26:29 2006

Just to add another viewpoint regarding Asian food westernised for different
markets.
Here on the eastern seaboard of Australia the older type gluggy
unadventurous style Chinese dishes for Westerners have very largely
faded away long ago as people became more cosmopolitan. Thai came along, of
course and Japanese. Some Japanese in particular that is
very popular and everyday is the sushi train type of eatery.
The biggie for me though is wonderful Vietnamese. Clear delicious stocks,
clean flavours, and as much chilli as your personal
threshold can cope with. With Vietnamese immigrants came the French colonial
influence as well, which is very positive for bakeries.

I never thought of Ruark as recommending Chinese restaurants. I guess that
comes from reading all of his African adventures.

Cheers
Hoppy
Who is now hungry and waiting for lunchtime.