Subject: Dealing with the Photo Blahs [was Re: [Leica] Catching Up]
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Sep 11 21:52:11 2006

On 9/11/06, Richard S. Taylor <r.s.taylor@comcast.net> wrote:
> So "power through it" is the advice.  Anybody just take a week or two off?

To be honest ...

I was on a roll in the 70'ies (http://www.dlridings.com and some of the
areas)

Back then, when the shutter went "click", I knew if I had a shot or
not. I'd go back to the lab to process and print a certain frame that
I knew I had on the roll.

There are some shots there that I like, maybe because they are
associated with memories.

I left the states in 1976 and stayed in Israel for over a year, Europe
a bit, met my wife when I went back to Israel again and ended up in
the north.

That is when my "period off" started. It was dark up here and sparsely
populated. Nothing like the exploding metropolis of St. Louis. Now
_that_ will give you an idea about sleepy Gothenburg and Oslo when St.
Louis is full of activity by comparison (actually, St. Louis was not
all that sleepy ... it became so with the blight).

I started again a few years ago. I personally don't feel I've gotten
up to speed yet.

Then on the other hand, I find I have scads of frames on rolls that
are worth keeping, worth scanning and printing ... but I just never do
it. I pick out one or two and file the roll away.

I am hoping I'll get out of the slump. I expect I won't. I expect that
youth carried with it an element of excitement that just is not going
to come back.

I did some stupid things then I'd probably not do today ... like walk
around with cameras over my shoulders in East St. Louis. I don't think
I'd dare to do that today.

Take a break? Yeah, I did. We're older now with better wallets. Today,
I'd go out and pick up a Canon p&s digital, a 1gb card and have fun.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) (Dealing with the Photo Blahs [was Re: [Leica] Catching Up])
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) (Dealing with the Photo Blahs [was Re: [Leica] Catching Up])
Message from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) (Dealing with the Photo Blahs [was Re: [Leica] Catching Up])