Subject: [Leica] UK Steam in BW
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Thu Sep 7 23:35:04 2006

Being a Leeds Loiner myself, I know Matthew Murray's railway well,
somewhere else in my gallery are  a couple of shots from there too.
It is probably the least photogenic preserved line there is, but there
is a link to the NYMR,  the saddle tank Mirvale worked there for a while
in the early days. The only place to get some halfways decent shots is
in the sidings. And they do have one of my favourite light engines, the
ancient Hartmann with its colossal chimney, built in Germany in 1895. I
used to be a Saturday spotter, my dad took me to watch Leeds United at
Elland Road, and I always  wanted to be at the very top of the terraces,
you could see mainline steam from there. On the way home we walked past
the Hunslet engine company and Fowler's (what was left of it) yard with
dozens of rusting locomotives and traction engines, sad.
Douglas