Subject: [Leica] UK Steam in BW
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Thu Sep 7 15:07:21 2006

Absolutely Iconic! Even the Flying Scotsman can't boast such good looks
as a Streak.
They just spent 750000 GBP- yes threequarters of a million quid! to get
it back in safe and running order - worth every penny too.
Sir Nigel was a bit short of breath on the first run, and was
ignominiously tagged on to the end of a train pulled up to Pickering by
a tank engine, later in the day it managed to get up as far as Goathland
(Hogsmeade) but without coaches attached, it eventually took a few day
to get every thing right - very unfortunate that it was mid-season and
August Bank Holiday. But at least they had some other nice stuff
running, The Southern is a pretty good looking machine and the Green
Dragon looked good in its new livery too, sad that Eddystone was in the
deviation yard waiting for maintenance work .The Lancashire Fusilier
(Black 5) was running the Esk Valley and Whitby again -  and planning
permission has been  approved to join upthe missing connection from
Pickering to the Scarborough-York mainline near Malton - the only thing
missing is the money for it. Nice to see a private preserved railway
being integrated into the public transport system,  and making a profit too.
Cheers
Douglas