Subject: [Leica] was eyeliner, now shooting through it
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Tue Sep 5 16:54:15 2006

Ted wrote:
>I was recently told by one of my grandson's it's the
fashion to have >some
>kind of piercing showing these days. That was when I
saw him with >this
>protruding piece of metal sticking through his lip.
>
>When I first saw him after many months of being away
I immediately >played
>dumb and asked. "Oh my gosh Chris what happened when
you fell on >your face?"
>Knowing full well of course it was a damn piercing
job.

Careful there Ted, you don't want to give him an
excuse to write you off as a codger. At least, that's
the way my mind worked 35 years ago when I had hair
halfway to my ass - it irked my dad no end. Of course,
now I have no hair. I wonder what the karmic
retribution for peircing-out-of-snottiness is? Tooth
loss to extreme cavities?

>Now Arche back to your series! :-)
>
>It's real down home documentive material much like we
saw back in >the 50's &
>'60's. Your straight forward style is what makes it
work so well. Each >shot
>has it's own tale of being at the fair showing in
many cases the >mental and
>emotional feelings of the subjects.
>
>This is a topic one can work on year after year and
rarely have a >repeat
>image. And if you do? Well it's called "editing
fiercely" constantly
>building the series to be better and better.
>
>I'd not throw any away, that is unless it's so
obviously a miss it goes. >But
>what might interest you today, maybe far more
interesting 50 or 100 >years
>from now.
>So for the moment I'd keep shooting the fall fairs as
they come.

The big State Fair starts this weekend, and I'm
clearing the deck to have two days to shoot in.
It's a stunning compliment to be compared to the sort
of work done in the '50's & '60's, which I see as a
golden age for that kind of photography; I hope in the
long run I can measure up to it. A good, true
photograph has its own time, as you know, and have
proven again and again.

>I went to one here on the Island yesterday,
absolutely not in the right
>frame of mind to be anywhere and it was a disaster
which became a >"select
>all-delete all" when I came home! :-(
>
>It happens to all of us some days, even though it's
fun. Yesterday? A >black
>hole! :-( Damn good thing it wasn't a paid
assignment! :-(

Yeah, there's those days where you walk around and
just can't see anything. Its as if you've gone blind,
even though you KNOW there's always a shot, but you
just can't see it. One day on, the next day absolute
crap, a small death.

>So once again after looking through yours I felt
better as yer doing a >fine
>shoot and motivated me to have another go next week.
Thanks. Well >done mon
>ami!
>
>ted

All Right! The next roll is golden - let's get off our
asses and SHOOT! I'll be thinking of you while I'm at
it,
Arche