Subject: [Leica] Which camera would you always carry on your pocket?
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Mon Sep 4 16:03:18 2006

Well, I'd carry what I have. For pocketables, I have
the Rollei AFM35 or the Oly Stylus Epic. The Epic is
smaller, but usually the Rollei goes out the door with
me, particularly if I think a built in flash might come in
handy. The Rollei's lens is really contrasty in a unique
way that I happen to like.

I don't wear jeans, just khakis or wool pants, so I have
largish, easy access pants pockets, when I'm not wearing
a jacket.

But neither is ideal compared to what I would like.

I also keep an M right next to my keys by the door, and
it's usually over my shoulder.  A friend of mine and I ran
into Ralph Gibson in NYC chatting on a door step. He
had an M slung over his sport coat. If it's good enough for
him....

Someone else mentioned the Canonet. Ideally, I'd like
something like a smaller Canonet - fixed 40/1.7 lens,
a meter and RF focusing. Why such a little beast doesn't
already exist I cannot fathom. I just don't like the auto
focus and auto metering of my current P&S's. Give
me manual control in a small package.

Scott

p.s. The Rollei does have aperture priority and zone focusing
to something like 10 meters. So if you can remember, do the
math or bring a cheat sheet, you can do hyperfocal distance
focusing, which is pretty cool on a bright enough day.