Subject: [Leica] What I did last night
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Sat Sep 2 23:54:04 2006

> Op 2-sep-06, om 19:04 heeft Ted Grant het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Yes I know some folks almost barf about shooting at 3200 and go on  about
>> grain, oops pardon me... "noise'' ;-) Another one of those  stupid
>> non-photographer electronic words I find bloody annoying  when it
>> could've been called "electronic grain" then everyone who  were real film
>> shooters would've known what the effect looked like.  And what the hell
>> digi people were talking about.
>
> I do think that there's a big visual difference between grain and  noise.
> When seen from a (too) short distance, I always felt that  grain produced
> beautiful and naturally irregular transitions of tone  (esp. in B/W). Must
> be that beautiful chemical reaction in negative  development on the
> silver.
> The regularity of digital noise makes it visually less attractive for  me.
> So I wouldn't just change 'noise' into 'digital grain'. There is a
> difference. And noise is less acceptable than grain.
> Just a feeling...
>
> Philippe

More then a feeling i,m sure.
There is a lot of info on the web on this .If i remember correctly even the
structure  of the grain lumps
is influenced by the optics , so related to the recorded image and not due
to a  random distibution.
As usual sorry for the yuckspeak
simon jes.

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] What I did last night)