Subject: [Leica] What I did last night
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sat Sep 2 11:01:29 2006

Op 2-sep-06, om 19:04 heeft Ted Grant het volgende geschreven:

> Yes I know some folks almost barf about shooting at 3200 and go on
> about grain, oops pardon me... "noise'' ;-) Another one of those
> stupid non-photographer electronic words I find bloody annoying
> when it could've been called "electronic grain" then everyone who
> were real film shooters would've known what the effect looked like.
> And what the hell digi people were talking about.

I do think that there's a big visual difference between grain and
noise. When seen from a (too) short distance, I always felt that
grain produced beautiful and naturally irregular transitions of tone
(esp. in B/W). Must be that beautiful chemical reaction in negative
development on the silver.
The regularity of digital noise makes it visually less attractive for
me.
So I wouldn't just change 'noise' into 'digital grain'. There is a
difference. And noise is less acceptable than grain.
Just a feeling...

Philippe

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] What I did last night)
Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] What I did last night)