Subject: [Leica] Harvard tuition
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Aug 30 17:21:15 2006

My guess is that it was $3500 per year...which would jibe with GW's being
$4700 in 1970. But $3500 was a lot of money in 1964, when a dollar was still
at least a fraction of a dollar.;-) But I think these things all happen for
a reason - like your ending up at Missouri - with a great J school...I
applied to Harvard but didn't get in - there or anywhere else I wanted to
go, having a pretty execrable high school record despite terrific college
board. So my choices were BU in Boston, or GW, in D.C., both of which were
then pretty sucky commuter schools. I decided that I didn't want to spend
four years staring across the Charles at Harvard, so I went to GW., which I
really knew nothing about...So by Feb. of my freshman year I'd landed a
part-time copyboy job at the Washington Post, and that lead to a reporting
job, etc. etc. Had I gone to BU, or Harvard, I doubt I'd have ever ended up
at the Post....So when all is said and done, I'm glad things worked out as
they did.....
How's that for a digression....? :-)