Subject: [Leica] Shoot Digitally.....
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue Aug 29 08:02:13 2006

On 29 Aug 2006 at 6:38, Frank Filippone wrote:

> There was an article in the NRA publication about a new scope for rifles
> that has a full digital camera built in.  Essentially you
> view your target through a camera, with a built in LCD screen.  Some
> trivial ( to me, I do not shoot) details include a USB port, a
> Memory card, and a parallax free optical path.  Why a memory card in a
> rifle scope?  Who knows.... maybe you can download the sight
> of Bambi getting a bullet in her head so that you can sit at home with a
> long necked beer and enjoy the kill over and over on your
> 'puter.....

More likely the ability to watch a high-framerate video of the entire
process so that if your shot goes wrong and you DON'T get a clean
kill on Bambi (usually a heart shot as opposed to a head shot, btw)
you can have a better look at where, EXACTLY, you were pointing when
you fired. We're talking thousandths and ten-thousandths of a second
here, so having a tunable camera that could capture the exact
instants needed could be of great help.

As with photography, specific types of technical errors result in
specific types of misses.  If you consistently miss low right, you're
doing a specific thing; if you're consistently throwing high, you're
doing a specific OTHER thing with a different correction.

It's the same way we lean photography by looking at the shots that
DON'T do exactly what we want them to do, and trying to sort out what
actually happened and how we can do it better next time.  Attaboys
are a lot less instructive than Ted's critiques, no?

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com