Subject: [Leica] External Hard Drives - Combining FW400 and 800 OK?
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Mon Aug 28 10:23:03 2006

Brian - The iMac G5 does have USB 2.0 but I have not been considering
it because I'd need to buy a USB hub to run the drives (all my USB
ports are full).  In any case,  I have now found Western Digital
drives (and I assume there must be LaCie and Maxor, drives, too) that
have two FireWire ports so my first issue has gone away.

Apple has made setting up RAID configurations easy in Disk Utility
and I'll use that to set the system up.

 From recent posts, it seems someone has had trouble with drives from
all the majors (including me with LaCie) so which brand to buy is a
toss up and I may just do it by price and availability.

I think I remember you saying you liked the Seagate drives and I will
look into those.

Am still wrestling with whether or not to move my bootable backup
volume onto the RAID 1 array or leave it where it is on a separate
disc.