Subject: [Leica] M8 shutter
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Sun Aug 27 23:01:27 2006

On Aug 27, 2006, at 8:02 PM, Tom Schofield wrote:

>> I see the same shutter as the R9 is planned. Can anyone comment
>> on how much noise it makes compared to an M6?

No one has heard what an M8 sounds like, but we know one fact and one
rumor.

A) The R8/R9 shutter is actually a rather quiet.

B) Leica is using a modified R9 shutter in the M8. Supposedly they
chose to replace
the first metal roller on the shutter with a rubber equivalent, along
with making
other modifications to reduce noise.

If it's anywhere as quiet as my Xpan, which uses a similar shutter, I
will be thrilled.

Rumor has it that the shutter is very quiet and obviously doesn't
sound like an SLR,
because there is no mirror. This is very important.

Our lifelong exposure to the stereotypical SLR shutter sound we hear
on TV and in
movies is deeply ingrained in our brains and therefore that is what
we react to.

The subtle >snick!<  of the Leica M doesn't sound anything like what
most people
expect a  camera to sound like and therefore it is mostly ignored,
even if it is heard.

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net
     www.elanphotos.com