Subject: [Leica] Re:Photos of M8
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Sun Aug 27 11:45:08 2006

On Aug 27, 2006, at 11:35 AM, B. D. Colen wrote:

> Perhaps, Feli - I said I was sticking my neck out. But why the
> heavy jpg
> compression only in those areas where someone would be 'splicing
> things on'
> were it a fake?

Compression artifacts are most prominent where there is a large jump
in contrast.
Going from a constant black to an almost primary red of much greater
luminance
value is a big jump for the compression algorithm.

You don't create artifacts when you are cutting and pasting elements,
unless you are
pulling a key based on color or luminance and don't do a very good
job. And even then
any artifacts can be painted out by hand if you are only dealing with
a still frame.

Compression artifacts are a result of the algorithm deciding what
information to keep
and what to throw out  and are introduced when you save the image.

  ;-)

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net
     www.elanphotos.com