Subject: [Leica] New Orleans 1 Year Later
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Aug 26 19:18:50 2006

Sonny,
As someone who has had feet both in the South and in the North, loss and
never going back are just part of life.  I can't go back to my mother's
godmothers house, the one full of antiques dating back to 1650 with a story
for each piece; family member what they had done good or bad. She could
bring back life in the Delta going back before the Civil war by showing a
pineapple bed that Jeff Davis had slept in at their town house in
New Orleans.  She could bring back memories of the whole family at
Thanksgiving by showing her great grandmothers silver and talking about
polishing it while the family gathered.  I can't go back to the old
plantation house which survived the Civil War but burned down in 1925, but
at least Ihave pictures.   The house that I remember playing in when we
visited my aunt in Nebraska, the one made of solid walnut because that is
what grew on the creek bed where it was built was burned down by the family
because they didn't want vagrants staying in it.

I do have the memories, the smells, the textures, the sounds so it is all
still alive for me.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com